LINDA TRACE DESIGNS

crafty adventures of a makeup loving Japanophile!

.

.

Sunday 22 June 2014

Fairy Wishes

Greetings!

So I'm sure you've all noticed how BIG watercolouring is, in the cardmaking industry right now and I've always been a fan of it, but didn't really have the desire to do it lately. Until the last couple of days when an idea started mulling around in my head.

So I thought I'd run with it :)

Meet Fairy ;


I stamped her on Tim Holtz watercolour cardstock, then coloured her in with Distress Markers (wiping them onto an acrylic block then picking up colour with a wet paintbrush).

This set, Wishes, is an older one but just such a joy to colour in.


 I added LOTS of glitter. Stickles to her wings, a little gold Delicata refil in her hair, wink of stella on the edges of her dress :) A fairy should shimmer, RIGHT?!

For the background, I made sure the fairy was dry completely, then I went around and carefully but thoroughly wet the rest of the card (around her), and then added little drops of blue from distress markers (again, picking the colour up off an acrylic block). The wet background (doing it first, I mean) gives a really soft, flowy effect and it's so perfect for skies.

If I'd painted the ink on in the same way I did the fairy, it would've been much more deliberate and the strokes of the paintbrush would have shown through much more. I didnt want that.

To add clouds, I simply dabbed a paper towel (that was scrunched up) into little areas around the sky, and it lifts the water and the colour, right up off the paper. So cool.

That fun handwritten sentiment is Hero Arts.

That's it for me! Super simple and so effective.

Did you see the Colour Along Wednesday this week? I always seem to miss it (dropping kids off at school, or out of the house) but you can always watch the recorded version on ustream. Kristy is the BOMB at colouring. One day I'll be just as good as her *snort, yeah right!*



No comments: